Monday, June 10, 2013

A Crystal Rim: Beautiful Poetry

A CRYSTAL RIM
a poem by Hafiz

The Earth lifts its glass to the sun
And light - light is poured.

A bird comes and sits on a crystal rim
And from my forest cave I hear singing.

So I run to the edge of existence
And join my soul in love.

I lift my heart to god and grace is poured.

An emerald bird rises from inside me
And now sits upon the beloved's glass.

I have left that dark cave forever.

My body has blended with his.


I lay my wing as a bridge to you
So that you can join us singing.

(translated by Daniel Ladinsky)



Hafiz was a 14th century Persian poet who wrote poems of incomparable beauty and compassion. "The Gift," a volume of his work, is one of my most precious possessions. Translator and poet mesh for a mystical experience.

1 comment:

  1. No matter what your going through or how much pain you feel, it will evaporate like mist in the morning sun once your heart understands this poem. Just read it over and over and it will deliver joy.

    ReplyDelete